Friday, May 26

Weekend update

We're at my parents house for the weekend, which will invariably mean some relaxing, which means no blogging. I've brought a couple of books to read while I'm up here, and am looking forward to kicking back, relaxing, and doing absolutely nothing.

I start my new assignment on Tuesday. I'm greatly looking forward to it. I'm lucky in two respects: 1) work is going to provide me with a laptop so I can get work done (and also maintain some things from my previous assignment), and start raking in the overtime. (I NEED IT.) 2) Thanks to the generosity of people at Freecycle, I have been able to borrow a bicycle for a few weeks, while I work on my assignment. This is good, as the other site is not directly on the bus line, and rather than walk an extra mile to work, I will be able to ride on the bicycle to the bus stop from home, and from the bus stop to work. This cuts down on my walking, but also gives me some extra time around the house in the morning (my time to get to work is fixed, as I take the first available bus).

Also, work has been offering some financial management classes, and that has been a phenomenal experience. I took one on making the most of my 401(k) today, and holy poop on a stick! If it's true that the really smart people know what they don't know, I am definitely smarter today, because not only do I know things that I didn't know, I also know things that I still don't know. (Figure that one out!) Anyway, I'm looking forward to making good financial decisions starting immediately, and starting to make my money work for me rather than the other way around. This course actually paralleled a lot of stuff that I have seen on the "I Will Teach You to Be Rich" blog referenced in my sidebar. Good stuff and I am definitely a better person for it.

And one final thing, the three-in-one printer/scanner/fax/copier (wouldn't that be four-in-one?) arrives on Tuesday via FedEx. (At the low low cost of $4/pay period for two years, which I can pay off at ANY TIME. Intuit even ate the express shipping!) This will be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME as we move to a paperless office, but this also will help accomplish one of my older goals, which would be get all of our vital documents scanned and stored on a CD-ROM somewhere safe, in case anything happens to them. They would go in our 72-hour kit, for example, and probably a copy with our year's supply. The camping trip two weeks ago has got me on another emergency preparedness kit, and I keep getting this sinking feeling that we are woefully unprepared, even with doing our best.

No comments: