Tuesday, May 2

Observations.

Painted the apartment bedroom white again this weekend. Had to bring in an extra light to do it. I know there's some sort of analogy with the Gospel and repentance in there... something about not being able to become purely white without the light. I'll work on it, but I have the feeling that I'm onto something.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but last Tuesday night when we were at the Stake Youth Leadership Training meeting, the thought hit me that "the true measure of a student is how he applies what he is taught." I like that, and hope to be able to use it.

---

On a slightly non-spiritual note, I had to come up with a definition of "butt-rock" for some friends of mine, as I had to explain what I thought of the music played on the local "Tucson's REAL rock" station. After much thought, contemplation, and research, here is what I have determined:

  • You can picture someone fixing their Camaro to it.

  • High male voices. Both lead and harmony vocals. It helps if the singer has such an unnaturally high voice that he has to overdub the backing vocals (see Boston as an example of this).

  • Four or five male members with long, feathered hair or mullets

  • Wailing guitar solos, distorted guitars, and lyrics about women, sex, drugs, Satan, cars, and/or rock music itself (i.e. "I Wanna Rock", "Detroit Rock City", etc.") (thanks to Mullets Galore for the last two entries)

  • Supergroups in general.

  • "Southern Rock" or rock with multiple lead guitars, especially harmonizing guitar solos (both Molly Hatchet and Iron Maiden fall into this category)

  • Testosterone-fueled and self-important.

No comments: