Thursday, May 11

Exercise #2, RMI

Develop a Morning Routine

  1. I have already set my alarm clock to the "real" time.  "Real" time is fairly arbitrary, anyway.  First, there is "Calabresi's Time Displacement Theory":  the more clocks there are in a house, the greater the difference between the earliest and latest time displayed among the clocks.  Second, I've always been sure to set my watch and clocks to whatever time is being observed by my employer; it's just prudent to do that.  However, now that I depend on two schedules, and I'm pretty sure that Intuit and Sun Tran are on two different clocks, it is somewhere between hard and impossible to synchronize the two.  My watch is still set to Intuit time, however, that bus seems to come awfully late every morning. :-)
  2. If my alarm was set to the actual time I want to wake up, it would be set for about 6:30.  However, since I have to be at work at 6:15, that wouldn't be a very good idea.  Currently, the alarm goes off at 4:44 a.m., which gives me time to shower, eat breakfast, and mill around for a few minutes before absolutely, positively having to be out the door at 5:20 at the latest.
  3. Wake up half an hour earlier?  I just moved my wake-up time a half-hour LATER, and I have more time to do what I need in the morning, instead of rushing out of the apartment.  So, we're calling it even.  I may, MAY move it to 4:30 just to make it even, once my sleep patterns get a bit more set, but we will see.
  4. I do wake up at the same time every day.  I may immediately go back to sleep on Saturday and Sunday, but the alarm still goes off at 4:44 a.m.
  5. I've been doing this for more than a month now, and it's working so far.  No complaints, and things have been easier in the morning for a while.  I still don't look forward to getting up in the morning, but it's not a total pain in the rear like it used to be, either.
Inspired by Radical Mutual-Improvement

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Though, 4:44 is insanely early. :) To each their own wakeup time I guess. I'm curious to see how this goes... keep me updated.

Anonymous said...

You think 4:44 is insanely early, you should have seen what I was doing... 4:08. And that was when I was driving to work! I'm very lucky to have a flexible boss, who has let me change my shift pretty much at will, as long as I get the 40 hrs/wk in. I was working 5-12 at the office, then coming home and putting in another hour, now it's 6:15-1:30, then coming home and putting whatever makeup time I need in. It really helps me spend time with the family, as when they're asleep, I'm at work. Really helps with the work-life balance, and not as much of a sacrifice as one would imagine.