Monday, May 15

More Radical Mutual-Improvement

From today's task:

Radical Mutual-Improvement - Exercise #4 Stop Wearing a Watch

I have to admit that I had mixed feelings about this exercise, as I am very attached to wearing my watch, but that's really just because I got it in France, and it's a pretty sweet-looking watch. :-)    However, it is just a fashion accessory, as demonstrated by the fact that I would swap it with that cool-looking watch I got in Florida when I felt like it.

I also fell prey to the confabulation of a logical reason -- I take the bus to work, so I need to know what time it is.  Well, the bus comes every half hour, like it or not, and me wearing a watch isn't going to affect that... especially if I leave the house at (or around) the same time every day, I'm going to get to the bus stop at the same time every day, and from there it's about a 10 minute wait for the bus.  At work I have a computer to tell me what time it is (I don't have, nor do I want, a cell phone), so I don't need a watch there.

I did come up with a social reason to wear a watch, though -- wearing a watch helps you get out of awkward conversations at work.  All you have to do is look at your watch, mutter something about a meeting or deadline, and wander away.  Looks like I'll have to find a new way to get out of that stuff...

So here goes... no watch until June 15th.  I should even be able to get away with this at church, because even though there is no clock in my classroom, someone generally comes by and tells us when there is five minutes left in the class.

No comments: