Tuesday, July 18

RMI #15 - getting caught up

Home for the evening in Tucson, and I thought I would take some of my downtime and do what I do best... write.

You know it's been a long time since you started something when the feed on the site says, "Two Months Ago, Pronoia wrote..." and then the title of the article appears: Listen to the whispers of your possessions (Exercise #15).

This is something that I'm very keen on. I have long thought of myself as someone who does not have a lot of possessions, nor do I need a lot of possessions. I enjoy going through my life, leaving what I call a "small footprint" behind. I don't take up much space, I just go through and try to get the most accomplished and the most good done for myself, my family, and other people as possible.

Occasionally my possessions will tell me "You are not using me as much as you can be," or similarly "You are not using me as much as you thought you would." At this point, I start evaluating: is this something I currently use, is this something I am going to use in the future, or more likely, is this something I bought on a whim a long time ago with some grandiose design or mildly unreachable goal in mind, and should I refocus on that goal or cut said possession loose?

I'll admit that there is nothing really screaming at me right now to do anything about... the only exception I can think of would be my guitar, which occasionally tells me that I'm not being creative enough, yet sometimes I just haven't felt that fire. I think my life is pared down enough to the point where I feel the voices of my inner creativity calling me more than the voices of any individual possessions I have. And I think that's a good thing.

No comments: