Tuesday, July 11

Life Happens When You Plan

This was said to me many times by an ex-girlfriend of mine. I've always hated it because she would generally use it as an excuse to be a jerk and stop whatever I was doing at the time, or planning on doing. However, six years later, it fits.

Michelle's vacation? Scrapped. Instead, she is in a Phoenix hospital with contractions and all of the symptoms of preeclampsia, expecting to have a baby by the end of the week. Instead of me accomplishing many things, I'm rushing around to be sure that I am at least prepared to go to Phoenix tomorrow, and remain there for at least two weeks. It's crazy.

Thankfully, we've had a lot of support from our friends and family. One friend gave us a spare cell phone that they had laying around so I can be gotten in touch with while I am travelling. Another gave us a book on premature children and will give us a whole bunch of preemie-sized clothes (they went through a similar experience). Work is being nothing short of phenomenal with their flexibility, allowing me to juggle sick, vacation, and flex time in order to get things done and stay with Michelle. My parents are happily watching Elizabeth, and we have had more offers to babysit down here than I can count on two hands. Heck, even our bank account seems to be heavier than it should, although I can probably chalk that up to me losing track of something. Oh wait, shoot, I know exactly what that was. Yep, we're in the hole again. Figures. Good thing I got paid tonight for the gas money; I'm going to have to go put some money in later on tonight though. Argh!

So yeah, this is a positive thing. Honest, it is. Our friends are supporting us, both Michelle and I are confident that we will be able to get through this together and come out the other side better people. That's the whole point of life, right? Get through it and come out the other side a better person. I can deal with that.

Time to go sort through that pile of mail on the coffee table, going to have to see what will happen in two weeks when we can actually pay some of those bills. I'm also prepping a bunch of furniture for the nursery -- have to bring that into the garage, and bring a whole bunch of stuff out of it.

It's 9:25 PM, and I've got a busy night ahead of me. I'm going to get started.

No comments: