Monday, July 10

the Fibonacci Workout

I've been reading in various articles recently about Phi and its occurrences in various locations throughout the universe, as well as its relationship with the Fibonacci series. I figure now is as good a time as any to try something out, and that would be what I've called "the Fibonacci Workout." It's essentially the same thing as the old Navy Seal workout that I used to do in France, except the reps are based on the Fibonacci series, rather than incrementing by one or two or however many. Tried it this morning with pushups and situps, it should be a decent workout. I'll add pullups tomorrow.

My "starting weight" for this vacation is 207. I don't have any real goals, although to get under 200 for the first time in forever would be a very nice thing.

So: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday would be the pushups/situps portion of the workout, and Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday would be the pullups/running portion. I'm doing elevated pushups, crunches, side leg lifts, and turning crunches. I'll probably be adding more as the days pass.

Also, I've kept the swamp cooler off in the house, relying only on fans. It was 88 when I left the house this morning, down from 90 last night. Wow. Well, if I keep the temperature high, that should help me sweat off some weight, right? I'm going to be drinking one glass of water for every hour I'm awake, too, to keep me hydrated.

----

Another Fibonacci Idea: [from the creativity department]

I was laying awake in bed last night and pondering other applications of the Fibonacci series in my life. It should be noted that I'm a math person from waaaaaay back, losing my taste for it in college (as I did so many other things). I'm not a mystic or anything like that... I don't have a slavish devotion to this "new" numerological philosophy I stumbled upon last week. But, being fascinated by this stuff, I figured I'd give it a shot.

There is a form of Hebrew poetry called "chiasmus" that I am also interested in, where the ideas in the first part of the poem are literally reflected in the second part. It's used a lot in scriptures and other oral traditions that are passed down, with the repetition making it easier to remember.

I was considering combining the Fibonacci series, phi, and chiasmus into an art form, be it poetry, music, or both, with each successive line containing the number of syllables from the Fibonacci series, having the turning point of the chiasmus be at the phi point of the number of syllables, having the number of syllables be a "mirror" (I don't want to write a 55-syllable line seven, for example)... things like that.

So for example, an eleven-line FPC (Fibonacci, phi, Chiasmus) poem would be laid out like this: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, with the turning point of the chiasmus being at the 19th or 20th syllable, or at the end of the longest line. We'll see how it works. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, but I believe this is going to be an interesting exercise in creativity.

No comments: