Monday, July 24

Life thoughts

No, this isn't another post on the miracle/mystery/beauty of life brought about by visiting my son in the hospital, but rather an interesting line of thought I've been pursuing over the past couple of days.

I've always believed that with God, there are to "grey areas" in life... everything is black and white, you're either following Him, or you're not. I've had some experiences with scripture recently to support this idea.

What I've determined is that everything in life is a "yes or no" question. When we pass to the other side of the veil, and we are questioned by our Savior as to the quality of our life, it's not going to be questions like "What callings have you held?", "How many children did you have?", or "How much money did you make?", but rather questions like "Did you magnify the callings you were given?", "Did you raise a righteous family/Were you a righteous and worthy parent/spouse?", or "Did you keep a responsible stewardship over that which was assigned to you?" Our status in the Lord's Kingdom depends on if we can answer these "yes or no" questions, not to which degrees we can answer them. I'm also sure that one of the questions will be "Did you serve the Lord to the best of your abilities?"

President Spencer W. Kimball (I think) said something about two questions that the Lord would ask us, and if I recall correctly, I think they were both "yes or no" type questions.

Anyway, I was thinking that that's all our life boils down to: a series of "yes or no" questions. If we live our lives so that we keep these questions in mind, it will be a lot easier. And more importantly, if we choose early on our answers to these "yes or no" questions, it makes everything that much easier in the long run.

This needs to be more organized and I need to pull some references from the scriptures to support what I've been thinking, but I honestly think I'm on to something here.

No comments: