Tuesday, June 27

RMI Update - Exercise #10

Just a quick update on Exercise #10 (Keep Track of Your Personal Zeitgeist) here.

I'm not going to say that I'm a paranoid person, but I will freely admit to being anal-retentive and a bit OCD.  When the faith to which you subscribe counsels repeatedly to get out of debt and have a small preparedness kit ready, hopefully you listen.  When your zeitgeist kicks in and you hear from multiple sources (all unrelated) in a short time that preparedness is a very good thing, it's time to stand up and listen.

Regular readers (ha!) will know that I've tried some minor preparedness projects in the past, but due to an actual or perceived lack of resources, it hasn't gone over too well.  In fact, it could even go on my "list of aborted projects" for next week's mid-year update.  However, it's at or near the top of my priority list now, along with the 25 or so other projects that I would like to complete before July 25.

So what is preparedness to me?  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a website entitled Provident Living which talks a bit about emergency preparedness, and it recommends, in addition to having a year's supply of food stored, a "go bag" or "72-hour kit" in case of emergency.  I would also like to have onhand personal records and important documents, in case originals are destroyed in a disaster.  Another essential would be an emergency kit in each car, in case it is needed.

So, added to my goals through listening to my personal zeitgeist, is the following:
  • 72-hour kit for the family
  • Complete scanning of vital documents, encrypt, and burn to CD.
  • Calculate food storage needs for one month, assess what is already on hand, and procure necessary stock to complete one month supply.  Make detailed, dated plan with fixed goal date to build stock to three months.
  • Evaluate needs for car emergency kit, assess supplies on hand, make list of what is necessary, and prepare plan to have at least one emergency car kit completed by July 25.
I think this is two things:  important, and overdue.  We'll see how I do on this one -- this has the wonderful advantage of being something I can research during my spare time at work, so I won't feel too pressed about doing a bajillion things at once at home.

No comments: