Friday, January 6

Boggle

I am playing a lot of Boggle at work these days (don't worry, only on breaks)... and it occurred to me the other day how many games one could play before repeating the dice combinations.

So... 6 to the 16th power, dividing by four to account for the sides of the grid, then again by two for the "mirror" effect, which yields the same answers...

There are 13 letter repeats on the same dice, and 54 occurrences of a letter repeating itself on more than one die.

Therefore, 352,638,738,365.

I can rest easier now. But wait, there's more! What is the longest possible word that can be made in Boggle? It's obviously 16 letters long, but is there a 16-letter word that can be made with Boggle dice? Is there more than one? Am I going to be stuck with squirrelled as my longest possible word, or is there a 17-letter word which strategically uses the Qu die?

These, my friends, are the times that try men's souls. And my rusty computer programming skills. We have here a worthy project, and some time to kill this weekend... let's see how it turns out. I'm downloading a 600k text dictionary when I get home, and let the games begin!

No comments: