Sunday, October 22

Me vs. Boggle

I am inching closer to completion of the Boggle program. It still has some behaviors that I'm unable to pin down, but I've been able to spend the past few days squashing bugs rather than just chasing them and scratching my head. I've already got a list of things to take care of, in true Getting Things Done fashion, thus keeping myself focused on a bunch of "next steps" rather than just sitting here scratching my head, wondering where to go next.

I'm excited for the completion of this, as it has helped me re-learn a lot of the stuff I've forgotten since "giving up" computer programming over 11 years ago, and is preparing me well for college in the spring. I'm also learning a lot of new stuff, and will hopefully get the hang of this Windows programming stuff. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the main engine bugs solved, and then I will be able to start on the user interface stuff -- which means porting the code to Windows, which means no more having to shell to a DOS window (aka a command prompt) so I can run Turbo Pascal 5.5 in emulation mode.

No comments: