Monday, November 6

What on earth?

Hooray for BBC News...

Plans for human-cow embryos

Wow... OK, first off, this is for stem cell research. The scientists will take cow eggs, strip the genetic information, then add human DNA to get a quasi-human embryo, from which they will harvest stem cells, then destroy the embryo. All of this would take about six days' time.

My grandfather died of Parkinson's, my grandmother of Alzheimer's, and it appears that my mom will have one, the other, or both by the end of her life. I'm in favor of stem cell research because it's helping us unlock various mysteries about the human body, and it has the potential to use the new knowledge to develop cures for diseases and other afflictions.

However, creating a human-cow hybrid? Nuh-uh. That's not natural. There needs to be a way to do this without mixing species. I understand that if a human embryo is used, then the whole "right to life" debate comes into play (I am against abortion for the most part).

Maybe this is a sign that this is not something we should be researching?

No comments: