Monday, November 13

Me vs. my computer

Oh man... so after I get home from the Scouting trip, I turned on my computer to install XP Pro (I previously had Home). After going through the motions of installing (read: sit and wait), I finally got to the point of Setup where it says "37 minutes remaining". I got up, did something, and came back, and my computer was rebooting. Strange, I never remembered a reboot at this stage of the install, but maybe this time is different.

Oh no. It's stuck in an endless loop of rebooting. I'm screwed.

What do you mean it can't find the boot record on my setup CD?

What's that noise?

In the middle of all this, my power supply (older computer with a PROPRIETARY CASE) decides to make this noise: 'WHIRRRRRRRRBUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZWHIRRRRRRRRRR'

Then the CD-ROM goes: "ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

And Matthew says:
"#(*&(#*&$)(@*#)*%)(%*&^_*^&%)(*&$(#*"

The computer eventually stopped rebooting. It actually stopped booting altogether. I had to run to the store and snag a bare-bones system, against my will, and then spend my Saturday evening (with VERY sore legs) assembling and installing it.

The good news, we have a working computer again. Sure, I have to re-install everything (and I mean EVERYTHING), and switch a whole bunch of stuff around because due to circumstances I had to make the old archive drive the master with the boot record, with the big monster drive as the slave... but yeah. It's working. I'm working, and man, am I tired.

No comments: